- Our Top Picks
- Nectar Mattress
- Layla Mattress
- Casper Mattress
- Tuft and Needle Original Mattress
- Leesa Hybrid
- Amerisleep AS2
- GhostBed Classic
- Plank Mattress
- Sweetnight Breeze 10-inch Mattress
- Memory Foam Density and Firmness
- Types of Memory Foam Mattress
- Types of Sleepers
- Comparison of Memory Foam with other mattresses
- Who Should Buy a Memory foam Mattress?
- Who Should Avoid Memory Foam Mattress?
- Quick Pros and Cons
- Related FAQ’s
- Final Thoughts
What if you didn’t have a good sleep and your boss gives you extra work? That irritates us more, right?
Talking about mental peace, good sound sleep is the first thing that comes into all our minds. Everyone needs comfortable and sound sleep after a long tiring day. And if at that time the mattress is uncomfortable, it’s a big disappointment.
Mattress shopping can be exciting as well as tedious. People take months to figure out the best mattress by comparing all the characteristics.
But not to worry we are here to save your time by bringing out all the factors of the different memory foam mattresses.
Why Memory Foam Mattress?
NASA developed memory foam in the 1970s. And in the 1980s it was adopted by the Mattress industry for its commercial use and now they are the need of most people. They are soft, comforting, cozy, and help in the overall alignment of the body. Because of these reasons, it gained the limelight.
They should be bought with utmost care depending upon the firmness level best suited for you, if not it can cause back pain or other related problems. In this article, we will list down the best quality memory foam mattress considering all the aspects, so don’t miss our well-researched list below!
Our Top Picks
Editor's Note: Cheap Cooling Mattress
Editor's Note: Best for Side Sleepers
Editor's Note: Best Rated Cheap Memory Foam Mattress
Editor's Note: Best Combination Memory Foam Mattress
Editor's Note: Best Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
Editor's Note: Best Memory Foam Mattress for Back Sleepers
Editor's Note: Best for Lightweight Sleepers
Editor's Note: Best People with Back Pain
Editor's Note: Best Firmest Memory Foam Mattress Ever
- Multiple layers of foams.
- Recommended for Side and Back Sleepers
- Rich quality durable foam
- Lifetime warranty
Nectar mattress is made up of high-quality foam which provides firmness. The comfort system is made up of multiple segments. The first is the quilted Tencel mattress cover. The next layer is gel foam that serves the purpose of cooling and breathability. The gel foam has a soft and silky top surface which helps to wave off the heat and moisture.
Next is a transition layer that avoids the sinking feeling. Backing up is the next layer of the hi-core memory foam layer which helps in pain relief and gives support. The mattress has a cover that prevents the mattress from slipping.
The polyfoam transition layer forms a core for the body.
The next appealing feature of the nectar mattress is its closeness to the budget of the majority of buyers. Keeping in mind all its features, a nectar mattress costs less than most of its competitors. Arguably, it is the best rated cheap memory mattress you can buy in 2021.
To assure mind peace, nectar mattresses have a trial period of 365 days giving the users plenty of time to test if it fits into their comfort zone. Nectar mattresses also give a lifetime warranty, which is the longest warranty in this price bracket. According to our research, it shows that only 3% of buyers proceed to return their nectar mattresses during the trial.
In our tests, we found nectar to be a medium-firm mattress. It performs well for people weighing around 130-230 pounds.
Pros of nectar mattress-
- High-quality products are delivered within an affordable range.
- Side and stomach side sleepers get extra cushioning.
- Effective for people who are back pain and hip pain sufferers.
Cons of Nectar mattress-
- Lightweight sleepers may find it a little extra firm mattress.
- People sensitive to odor might feel displeasure in the first 3-5 days but the smell goes away in a week.
- Although minor con but absence of side handles can be an issue for some people.
- Double-sided flippable design.
- Copper-infused foam material.
- Thermological infused cover.
- Provides motion isolation.
Layla is considered the best cooling memory foam mattresses and is also one of the most comfortable mattresses. What makes it stand out is its flippable mattress design.
There are days when you are suffering from slight back pain and your soft mattress is not what you need but want a firmer one. No worries, with Layla you can change sides. It is designed to suit customers whose firmness requirements keep changing.
It’s one side is slightly soft and the other side is slightly firm. Customers can try out both sides and then can come over to a decision.
Another outstanding factor about Layla is its composition. It is infused with copper- which is known for cooling and heat dissipation. Copper also is anti-microbial and keeps the mattress away from mildew and mold. Both sides have a 4.5-inch share of high-density polyfoam for better core support.
Layla has a thermological infused cover. This has thermo gel that helps to keep the body temperature low while sleeping. It dissipates heat so that users are not disturbed due to the 3accumulation of body heat in the mattress.
It has a super-adjustable nature and works well with any foundation such as a solid platform, box spring, bunkie board, slatted base, etc.
Layla mattresses are low on motion transfer. It absorbs the vibration caused due to the movement of a person, which might interfere with the sleep of another person on the same mattress.
Layla offers a comparatively low price with a 120-day trial and lifetime warranty. Layla has been tested thoroughly for durability making it long-lasting.
Pros of Layla mattress-
- Well tested motion isolation feature.
- Adjustable firmness.
- High-quality mattress within the low price range.
Cons of Layla mattress-
- Does not offer bounciness preferred by some people.
- Not recommended for heavyweight people.
- Premium breathable AirScape™ Foam.
- Zoned Support Balance
- Durable base
- Sleep Lab certified.
Casper consists of a three-layered premium form- AirScape™ which is a perforated foam that helps to radiate heat and in air circulation thus giving a cooling effect. The foam beneath this layer helps in supporting pressure points and cradle curves.
Below the aerated foam, we have a layer of zoned support divided into three parts-firm at the middle section and softer at the head and foot level. The softer foam gives relief to the upper body and the firm center helps in spinal alignment. This zoned support gives comfort under the lumbar area making it perfect for back sleepers.
The base is made of a thick high-density hybrid foam, providing firmness and shape. It also gives a little extra bounce to the sleeper who likes a buoyant lift.
The three zones target perfect spinal alignment. The removable cover is made up of recyclable material and has handles at the larger end. Casper is a medium-firm mattress that gives the sleeper an “on top” of the bed feeling.
Pros of Casper mattress-
- Helps the users to sleep cool.
- Relieves pressure and helps in maintaining spinal alignment.
- Motion isolation.
Cons of Casper mattress-
- Extra-firm for side sleepers can cause a lack of support.
- Less edge support.
Tuft and Needle Original Mattress
- Contains cooling graphite and gel beads.
- Compatible with most bed frames.
- Greenguard and CertiPur-US certified.
The Tuft and Needle come with advanced foam with cooling graphite and gel beads that help to push away heat. They are wrapped in a plush cover to keep us cool and comfortable
The tuft and needle mattress comes with a Greenguard Gold certification which indicates that the brand has promised a trustworthy product with high standards. Tuft and needle also claim that their mattress is free from harmful chemicals.
The dual-layer mattress is constructed with Adaptive Foam that molds our body in the process to relieve pressure. It helps to dissipate heat using gel beads combination. Tuft and needle have a quicker response than the other basic alternatives in the market. It has a combination of super airy knit cover along with bypassing graphite keeps the sleeper cool and cozy while in sleep
Tuft and needle are known to be a perfect fit in almost all kinds of platform frames, box springs, and foundations.
The responsive nature of the mattress helps movement on the bed easily and without much effort. It also prevents any disturbance caused by the movement of other sleepers. It is highly convenient for people who happen to toss and turn in the night.
Overall, Tuft and needle have been marked as a splendid mattress for spinal alignment, relief from the lower back, and shoulder pain. The mattress may take up to 72 hours to expand fully.
Tuft and Needle have good price-quality and what more is that it comes with a free trial of 100 days.
Pros of Tuft and Needle mattress-
- Highly durable.
- Effective motion isolation.
- Adaptive foam.
Cons of Tuft and Needle mattress-
- Slightly Firm.
- Lacks edge support.
- No side handles for movement or lifting.
- 72 hours needed for the mattress to expand and dissipate the odor.
- Pocketed coils with premium foams.
- Punched cover layer.
- Added edge support for combo sleepers.
Saying Leesa has just three layers may sound underwhelming about its characteristics. Diving into the layers we see a thick layer of hole-punched premium foam. It has a rapid response to pressure thus giving relief to hips and shoulders.
The second is the layer of memory foam. In contrast to the first layer, this segment gives comfort and coziness to the sleeper allowing him a certain plunge into the foam
A thin polyfoam layer separates the third layer of pocketed coils. This forms the support system of the mattress. It makes it a bouncy structure giving the user a lifted feeling. The packed nature also helps in motion isolation providing a sound sleep to the user.
The next iconic feature of the Leesa hybrid mattress is its cover. It features their signatory strips in grey that is a blend of polyester and lycra. It is stretchable and soft to touch.
The main reason for Leesa hybrid mattress to stand out is its adaptable nature towards all types of sleepers. Back, stomach, side- all of them will find comfort in Leesa. It also has added edge support due to which the edges remain intact and do not sag.
Leesa hybrid is medium-firm and is rated 6.5 on the firmness scale. It also includes a 100 day trial period in its package.
Pros of Leesa Hybrid mattress –
- Relieves cramps and provides pressure relief.
- Suitable for all styles of sleepers – back, side, stomach.
- Good choice for couples as it minimizes motion sensation.
- Helps in the powerful lifting of the body.
Cons of Leesa hybrid mattress –
- Not satisfactory for customers looking for an extra-plush feel.
- Costlier than other foam mattresses.
- Uses Bio-Pur – a plant-based foam.
- HIVE technology zone
- Extra warranty and trial period.
- Excellent for back pain relief
Amerisleep’s foam is made of plant-based material. Its open-cell arrangement helps in the easy flow of air and gets rid of the warm air and moisture. This material not only keeps the sleeper cool at night but is also healthy for the environment. Bio-Pur material has been declared eco-friendly as it minimizes carbon emissions and waste products giving a healthier sleep cycle.
Amerisleep’s hive technology is a five-layered foam with numerous hexagonal cells to give the feeling of softness and support. It helps the body to get proper alignment and is well recommended by the doctor for back straightening.
This mattress is well adjusting in any frame or can also be placed directly on the floor. Another remarkable feature of AS2 is its foam recovery time. The mattress gains its shape within 4 seconds of removal of the force and never sticks to any particular shape.
Constructed on Bio-core foam it is believed to last for a long time and will not sag even after continuous use for decades. AS2 is medium-firm and is best for stomach and back sleepers.
Amerisleep has an exceptional 20 years of limited warranty. It also gives its users a 100 day trial period but it has seen that rarely any user has returned the mattress.
Pros of Amerisleep AS2 mattress-
- Cool and quick response.
- Cost-efficient and value for money.
- Has certification-based authentication regarding good material.
Cons of Amerisleep AS2 mattress-
- It provides very little bounce.
- There is very less edge support
- Needs maintenance.
- Latex and gel foam layers.
- Suitable for a heavy-weight person.
- Ideal for combination sleepers.
- Certi-PUR US certified.
Ghostbed classic mattress is a combination of latex foam and gel foam. There are a one and half-inch of latex foam that gives a natural response and does not trap heat. Followed by a 2-inch gel foam which has large cells to cross the high-temperature nights. Last is the seven and a half inches base foam which gives extra support and longevity. This totals up to 11 inches of a combination of foam.
Proceeding to the cover, it is a mixture of rayon fabric and polyester giving it extra stretchability and prevents wear and tear. The cover material used has Certi-Pur US certification showing its goodness towards the environment.
Ghostbed mattresses can take up to 600 lbs of weight and thus it can accommodate all kinds of sleepers. Its compatibility ranges all over with slatted frames, adjustable frames, box springs, etc.
The mattress takes only a few hours after the removal of packaging for proper decompression and removal of the mild smell of new products. Ghost bed also earns the respect of its buyers by giving them a 101 day trial period and 20 years warranty.
It is a medium-firm and can be a slightly firm mattress for some. Overall Ghostbed classic mattress is put under the category of the highest quality without breaking the bank.
Pros of GhostBed classic mattress-
- Neutral temperature
- Long-term balanced support and optimal comfort.
Cons of GhostBed classic mattress-
- Some side sleepers may need a softer alternative.
- Motion isolate is average.
- Flippable firm mattress.
- Multiple Foam construction.
People usually tend to look for softer mattresses but there are quite a few people who like an extra-firm mattress. For them, plank mattresses come into the view. These are the firmest mattresses ever.
They are designed in a flippable manner where one side is very firm whereas the other side is slightly firm like the other mattresses. The firmer side will be rated a 9 and the other side lands with a rating of 7 on a scale of 10 for firmness.
It gives the users a flat even surface. This type of mattress is highly recommended by doctors to improve spine-related conditions and helps to straighten your posture.
A plank mattress is also created with several layers of foam. Talking about the extra firm side it has 1.5 inches per cubic foot(PCF) quilting foam. The other side has 0.75 inches of PFC giving relief to pressure points. The two layers are separated by a 2-inch transition layer that prevents the foam from the less firm side to push against the firmer side.
The transition layer is made up of TitanFlex foam that gives excellent support and is highly responsive. The cover of the plank mattress is made up of a four-way knitted stretchable material. Users can also opt for an additional cooling panel made up of phase change molecule(PCM) which gives a cooling sensation on touch.
These mattresses suit back and stomach sleepers as their body don’t sink into the foam and it gives them an on top feeling. It has a 120 day trial period and 10 years warranty.
Pros of Plank mattress-
- Strengthens our spine and abdominal muscles giving us a good posture.
- Firm and neutral support provided.
- Optional cooling panel that can be attached as and when needed.
Cons of Plank mattress-
- Not suitable for side sleepers.
- Average edge support.
- May experience motion transfer and may not be suitable for couples or people who frequently change positions at night.
Sweetnight Breeze 10-inch Mattress
- Provides coolness during hot summer nights.
- Devoid of any harmful chemicals.
- Fits all bed frames
- 10-year warranty and Certi-Pur US certified
Sweetnight breeze mattress is made up of three foam layers. The first layer is the 1.97-inch gel infused layer. Like others this layer doesn’t directly dissipate the heat, it rather pushes the heat to the next layer of foam. Gel overall gives a cooling sensation to the sleeper.
The next is the comfort layer that is a 3.94-inch zoned Air-Flow which waves off the heat and provides breathability. These two layers overall make it the best gel memory foam mattress. One can feel the cooling sensation simply by touching.
The third base layer is 3.94-inch of high-density foam which provides support and prevents sagging of the mattress.
The base is made in such a way that it fits on all frames- box springs, slatted base, flat platform, adjustable base. The mattress is chemical-free and does not involve the usage of formaldehyde, mercury, or any other heavy metals.
The overall design of the sweetnight breeze mattress gives a cloud-like comfort, helps in the proper alignment of the body. It is perfect for all kinds of sleepers. It is a medium-firm mattress, but among other sweetnight collections, it is the softest.
Sweetnight breeze mattress provides a warranty of 10 years concerning issues in material and workmanship. It also offers a 100-day trial period for customers to choose from and gives a full refund if they decide to return.
Pros of the mattress-
- Provides good motion isolation.
- Does not contain fiberglass.
Cons of the mattress-
- Takes up to 72 hours to dissipate the odor
- Needs extra 48 hours for proper decompression.
Memory Foam Density and Firmness
A memory foam mattress is characterized by its density and firmness. The foam size has nothing to do with density. In simpler terms, density here relates to how heavy and durable the mattress is concerning its size. Foam mattresses have low, medium-high densities. If it comes in relatively high-density that means it is built to last.
3.5 lb/ft3 to 5.5 lb/ft3 is the ideal density range for them. Some of them also offer higher density depending on how heavy the person is. Different types of sleepers can choose appropriate densities depending on their body weight.
Look out for mmHg while buying the mattress. an mmHg is a unit for the pressure that determines to what extent the mattress helps in relieving pressure points. Our research reveals that mattresses having 32mmHg or lower exert less pressure on the joints. Such mattresses help you to wake up without any aches.
Firmness is the next factor that comes to our mind. Similar to density, firmness is subjective to a person. Memory foam mattress comes in a range of 3-8 of firmness i.e soft to medium-firm.
Firmness is also related to indentation load-deflection(ILD). ILD describes how easily we can press the foam. A special device is used to measure the indentation. ILD range can be described as-
|Indentation Load Deflection (ILD)||Firmness|
|14-16 ILD||Medium Firm|
Types of Memory Foam Mattress
1. Traditional memory foam– This type has proved itself to be the finest for over a while. They are made of polyurethane-based foam. The typical density of these is 4-6 PCF. It is known to help in contouring, motion isolation, and heat retention. They are good for side sleepers. Classic traditional foam is less responsive giving a cozier feeling.
2. Gel Memory Foam– This is an innovation with the main aim to eliminate the problem of heat-trapping. Gel foam can be incorporated in the form of beads or a liquid layer. It helps to dissipate out heat keeping the sleeper cool. In the case of gel foam, one should opt for a thinner cover that allows proper breathability and makes this layer more effective.
3. Copper-infused memory foam– In coexistence with gel memory foam, the copper-infused foam was introduced to keep the mattress cool. Copper has a cooling capacity and helps in better transfer of heat. Copper-infused mattresses also help to protect the mattress from molds and different kinds of bacteria. It also helps to reduce stiffness in our bodies.
4. Hybrid Memory Foam– Hybrid foam is not entirely foam but we can say they are a combination of foam with springs for extra contouring and bouncy feel. Foams with copper or graphite form an example of hybrid foam. They have an underlying layer of springs to increase the bouncy feeling.
5. Open-cell Memory Foam– This is a variant that has open foam cells to allow better breathability and easy airflow. These are less dense than normal memory foam. Due to the air pockets, open-cell foam has an increased response time and better modulation of body temperature. They might not be popular as the other mattress but can be used in combination with other foam for better results.
6. Plant-based Memory Foam- Lately, plant-based foam is getting popularity among consumers. In this case, the petroleum-based substances are replaced with mint, bamboo, aloe vera, tea, or soy. They are environment-friendly and are good for people prone to allergies. Since they are made with natural material, they are more expensive than traditional foam.
Types of Sleepers
1. Back sleeper– Back sleepers want an extra cushion feel so that they can sink into the foam and their foam conforms with the curves of the body. Back sleepers require a limited cradle so two to three inches of foam would be ideal for a back sleeper.
2. Stomach sleeper– These types of sleepers do not have thick foam because that would make their lower portion sink into the foam. They need support for the abdomen to keep their spine aligned. Considering the above points, stomach sleepers prefer one to two inches of memory foam layer in their mattresses.
3. Side sleeper-Pressure relief is of utmost importance to the side sleepers. They have a desire for a comforting material to support the shoulders and hip region. The ideal thickness for them ranges from three to five inches. They want on top feeling during their sleep. Firmness and density play an important role for side sleepers as bodyweight around shoulders and lower abdomen can vary from person to person.
4. Combination sleepers– Combination sleepers tend to want a mattress in which they can switch positions and be comfortable in all ways. Motion isolation and airy comfort is a big factor for them. Look for conforming features that can be an added value to combination sleepers.
Comparison of Memory Foam with other mattresses
Memory Foam vs Spring Mattresses
- Memory foam gives better pressure relief than inner springs and also gives better conforming to the body. They are also suggested for spinal alignment.
- The foam gives better contouring while the latter gives a bouncy feeling. This choice varies from person to person.
- The first one at times helps to provide warmth and coolness but the springs give an overall cool feeling. The spring mattress allows easy flow of air through its coils keeping the temperature low.
Memory Foam vs Latex Mattresses
- Foam conforms to the exact shape of the body whereas latex conforms to the general impression of the body.
- Latex helps the sleeper to be cooler due to the open cell arrangement whereas memory foam gives a warm cozy feeling due to its chemical nature.
- Foam responses are a bit slower like quicksand, whereas the latex mattresses respond immediately.
- Foam has better motion isolation when compared to latex.
Memory Foam vs Hybrid Mattresses
- Foam mattresses are less expensive than hybrid ones. The coils used inside the hybrid polyfoam make them more pricey
- The foam gives a feeling of comfort and warmth whereas hybrid gives a bounce which is again a user’s personal choice.
- Hybrid mattresses are a little more breathable due to the passage of air between the coils.
Who Should Buy a Memory foam Mattress?
Many people suffering from back issues find solace in memory foam mattresses. They are known for their proven pressure-relieving property. For the same reason, they are the favorite among side sleepers.
They are prescribed to orthopedic patients needing a spinal alignment. The contouring and cradle provided are unmatched especially for someone who frequently complains of back pain or shoulder pain.
Additionally, if you don’t like mattresses that are bouncy or known to be responsive can opt for this one as it is slow to respond to your body weight. You will feel like sleeping as cradled by the foam.
It is bedding for those who want a silent mattress that does not make noise when you move around on the bed.
Who Should Avoid Memory Foam Mattress?
The topmost complaint from them is their tendency to retain body heat and make you feel warm at night. While this can be a blessing in disguise for a few but hot sleepers generally avoid them.
Although there are have been tweaks that have been put into design as discussed above in the other section. Many tend to look for expensive yet reliable best latex mattress in the market.
Parents tend to avoid them for their kid’s and toddler’s room as they can be suffocating if the kid sleeps putting the face into the bed. Sleep specialists recommend to avoid them if you suffer from sleep apnea or any sleep-breathing disorders.
Many people prefer a bouncy feeling or on the top feeling while sleeping. They should avoid buying this.
lastly, these do have some off-gassing issues associated with them. Although, any odor if present tends to go away with a week but it can be a deal-breaker for people who are highly sensitive to pungent odor.
Quick Pros and Cons
- Highly permeable and soft.
- Molds according to the shape and structure of the body.
- Visco-elastic returns to its shape after the removal of the force.
- Durable and low maintenance
- Motion isolation
- It exhibits a particular initial odor.
- Temperature-sensitive and gives a warm sensation.
- Takes time to adjust to the firmness level and shape.
Memory Foam mattresses have been creating a mark in the market ever since they entered into the ever-increasing mattress market. We expect them to evolve and get better in the coming years.
There are a large number of memory foam mattresses available in the market which makes the choice difficult and confusing. While every company claims to offer the best memory foam mattress but getting strong base information from our research will help to clear all confusion related to them.
Our well-research list will help you make an informed decision and help you buy the right mattress for you.