Disclosure – We rely on reader support to run SleepMattressHQ.com. If you purchase products using our links, we may earn a commission. Click here to read about our process.
Have you ever noticed how much dust your laptop screen or your side table gathers in the day? Now imagine how dirty your mattress can get in a couple of months. It is important to clean your memory foam mattress regularly for good hygiene.
Your bedding which includes your mattress and pillow should be clean. Washing covers, sheets, and protector is not sufficient. Deep clean your memory foam pillow and mattress once in six months.
The dust along with sweat, dead skin, and pollens in the air form a breeding ground for allergens to breed in your mattress. Any food, drink, or urine spills will make the matter worse.
Lets us discuss the steps to spot clean, deodorize, and deep clean the memory foam mattress for longevity and hygiene.
Vacuum the Mattress Regularly
- Using a handheld vacuum cleaner, vacuum your memory foam mattress once in a month with a brush attachment.
- Every night our mattress and pillow are subjected to dead skin and dust. It has to be removed by vacuuming.
- Vacuum thoroughly including the buttons, side folds, and corners of the entire mattress.
- Rotate/flip the mattress as per mattress instructions once in six months and vacuum both sides before using.
- If there is a dry food spill immediately remove the food particles and gently vacuum the affected area.
Spot Cleaning & Deep Cleaning
- Spot cleaning is helpful whenever there is a liquid spill (wine, urine, blood, etc).
- Dab the spill area with an absorbent cloth or kitchen cleaner tissue.
- Most of the stains on memory foam can be taken care of using laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid.
- To deep clean, use an enzyme-based cleaner or make a cleaning solution by mixing 1 part of mild detergent, 2 parts of warm water and spray on the affected area.
- Don't use any harsh chemicals, bleaching agents, or any harsh detergents. Avoid hot water. Anything harsh or hot can damage the memory foam.
- Gently spray/apply the mixture/cleaner and rub gently. Don't overspray or soak the mattress with liquid. Lastly, clean the affected area with a damp cloth.
- Dry the damp area of the memory foam mattress with a clean and absorbent cloth and let it dry in direct sunlight for 24hrs.
- Use the mattress only when it is completely dry.
Deep Cleaning the Urine, Wine & Blood Stains
The above method of spot and deep cleaning is effective on all kinds of easy and stubborn stains. But some stubborn stains like pet urine, blood, and wine can be difficult to get rid of.
Use an enzyme-based cleaner is the best option for such scenarios but in case of emergency, it is not possible to buy and wait for enzyme cleaners to arrive.
Try this DIY cleaning solution with clean cloth. Take 1 part of hydrogen peroxide (or vinegar) and 3 parts of water for DIY cleaning liquid. Dip the clean sponge in the solution and clean the entire surface with a circular motion.
Don't forget to check mattress instructions before using any cleaner. In case of confusion avoid using it or dilute the cleaner with water as we did in DIY cleaner.
Press the area with a dry cloth to absorb excess moisture. Dry the mattress in the direct sunlight or an airy room.
Deodorize the Mattress
The stains can leave an odor even after vacuuming and spot cleaning. The best way to make feel and smell fresh is to deodorize the mattress.
Use borax powder (or baking soda) and sprinkle on the spill area already cleaned. Dab very gently once or twice. Allow it to sit for a couple of hours in an airy room.
Vacuum gently with a handheld vacuum cleaner. Repeat the process after a few hours if required.
Mattress Care: Enhance the Life
The memory foam requires a care and cleaning schedule for worry-free sleep. Accidents can happen and mattresses can be subjected to any kind of spills. Regular dust, dead skin, and sweat are unavoidable.
The best way to enhance the life of a mattress is by frequently changing the sheets and washing your cover regularly.
Mattress protector and Mattress Encasement: can be effective in keeping the mattress clean. If you have invested in a good mattress, we suggest you spend more and invest in a mattress protector.
Cleaning and washing a mattress cover and protector is easier. It increases the life of the mattress.
Using a mattress topper or mattress pad helps in keeping the mattress clean in the long run.
Rotate Your Mattress: Rotate or flip your mattress once in six months. Do make a note that not all mattresses can be flipped but can be rotated. Check manufacturer's guidelines on the same.
Sunlight: Direct sunlight kills many microbes. It is one of the most effective strategies to keep your mattress fresh. In areas with high moisture content in the air, it has to be practiced more religiously.