Most of the sleeper types prefer a memory foam pillow. They are excellent in conforming and provide good pressure relief. But ignoring the cleanliness of the pillow can be counterproductive.
Pillows and mattresses are easy targets for dust mites. Sweat and dead skin can infest many bacteria and allergens. The pillows are closest to your face and you can end up inhaling micro-organisms that can lead to potential health hazards.
The article will help you have a good and clean sleep. Regular cleaning of a memory foam pillow is a must. There are many myths and assumptions around washing the memory foam pillows.
We will simplify the process of cleaning by providing step by step instructions to ease the process.
How to clean a memory foam pillow?
One has to maintain good pillow hygiene to keep the memory foam pillow clean. Depending upon the conditions of the memory foam pillow, the following methods of cleaning a memory foam pillow are recommended.
- Deodorize the pillow
- Spot cleaning
- Deep Cleaning
Let us delve into each one of them and understand when which and how to use each method.
How to deodorize a memory foam pillow?
The best time to deodorize a memory foam pillow is when it begins to smells unpleasant. The unpleasant smell can be from a brand new pillow due to off-gassing or your pillow has started to smell weird.
- Remove the pillow cover and/or protective case.
- Put the pillow in direct sunlight and sprinkle baking soda over the pillow. Let it rest in direct sunlight for 2-3 hours minimum.
- Wash the pillow cover and protective cover as the instructions on the pillow.
- Vacuum the pillow thoroughly to remove backing soda.
Repeat the steps 2nd and 4th if desired or there is still some odor left.
Spot cleaning for Blood/Wine/Urine Stains
If the pillow has some blood/wine stains or pet urine, we recommend spot cleaning as early as possible. Here are the steps for a spotless and clean pillow.
- Remove all the protective covers from the pillow.
- For fresh stain, use an absorbent cloth or kitchen tissue paper to gently absorb the excess liquid.
- Mix one cup of hydrogen peroxide, 1 tbsp of vinegar, and two tbsp of baking soda. Apply with an old toothbrush.
- Let it rest overnight or 12hours.
- Gently clean the spot with cold water.
- Dry the pillow in direct sunlight.
Make sure you have completely dried the pillow before using it. Any amount of moisture will become a breeding ground for allergens.
Deep Clean the Memory Foam Pillow
We recommend deep cleaning or washing the memory foam pillow once in six months. It is important to note that any stress or rigorous squeezing can break the memory foam of the pillow. Hence avoid machine washing the pillow unless specified on the pillow.
Here are the steps to deep clean the pillow
- Fill the wide tub with lukewarm water (avoid hot water) and mild detergent. Add your few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance after wash. Make sure the water is not too soapy.
- Dip the pillow in the tub and squeeze lightly for few times to remove dirt.
- Shift pillow into clean water and gently squeeze a few times to remove soapy water.
- Squeeze excess water and leave it to dry in direct sunlight or an airy room. It can take anywhere from 24hrs-72hrs.
Can you machine wash a memory foam pillow?
No, you cannot wash a memory foam pillow in a washing machine. The memory foam can get damaged in rigorous churning and twisting. It will reduce the life of the pillow. The hot water can also damage or melt the memory foam due to high temperatures.
How to wash a shredded memory foam pillow?
Shredded memory foam pillows are usually machine washable but make a diligent attempt to cross-verify by reading the instructions on the pillow label. Always use a mild detergent for washing.
How to dry a memory foam pillow?
It is essential to dry your memory foam pillow before you start using it. The ideal way to dry a memory foam pillow is to put it under direct sunlight or leave it under a ceiling fan in an airy room.