In the US, there is a relatively less proportion of people who prefer to sleep on their backs. So for back sleepers, it is extremely tedious to find a mattress that is not only comfortable but at the same time is sufficiently durable and value for money.
Our buyer’s guide and the list of best mattresses for back sleeping are enough to ensure that you do not face any trouble while you search for the best mattress that enhances your sleep.
Before we discuss the top mattresses for back sleepers, there are two other prominent sleeping positions. One of them is the side sleeping position which is immensely popular. The other common sleeping position is stomach sleeping. In this, the stomach remains in contact with the sleeping surface and neck and hips remain straight.
Therefore, to make sure back sleepers have a relieving experience every night we have curated a unique list of the top 9 best mattresses for back sleepers.
We have also highlighted their major qualities so that you may find the most suitable mattress that suits your needs.
List of Best Mattresses for Back Sleepers
Best Hybrid Mattress
Casper Original Foam Mattress – 2020 Model
- Three zones of specific support for the back ensure accurate spinal alignment
- Trademark AirScape breathable foam layer provides proper air circulation
- Sleep Lab Certification ensures trustable quality
- 100 Night trial and free return
One of the most comfortable mattresses for back sleeper is the Casper Original Mattress. Casper aims to constantly innovate and invent mattresses that provide a kind of universal comfort to all users. Some of its top features are:
Casper has become a household name and the constant innovation in its products is a major reason for the same. This mattress has a targeted support system that makes sure back sleepers are at ease. The comfort layer with premium foam conforms to the body and relaxes all joints and muscles. The base is sturdy and sufficiently durable as well.
What do We like?
A Paradise for Back Sleepers: The plush memory foam and back support system helps in pressure relief. The contouring makes sure your back remains in the correct position with no pressure on any specific body joint.
Cool and Comforting: The tiny holes make sure air doesn’t get trapped and a cool temperature is maintained at night.
Reliable: Casper brand name is enough to prove the brilliant quality of its products, but the Original Mattress (2020) comes with a 100 Night trial and 10 Year Warranty.
Leesa Hybrid Mattress
- Pocket springs provide accurate edge support
- 4 strips lavish mattress cover
- Cooling Avena top foam layer along with Memory Foam for proper contouring and support
- 100 Night trial and 5 Year Warranty
Leesa Hybrid is our next choice for top mattresses for back sleepers. This mattress is a luxury product and sleeping on it feels immensely relieving. Here are some of the great features that make it so popular and trusted:
The Leesa Hybrid is the perfect example of a combination of two of the most indispensable qualities – a comfortable sleeping surface and a cool mattress.
Back Sleepers prefer it for the top comfort layer and the recovery memory layer that provides appropriate support. The warranty is comparatively low, but the mattress comes with impressive benefits like pillows and luxurious sheets.
What do We like?
Luxurious feel: This product is not designed for customers low on budget. It comprises some top-class features that enhance the overall look of this mattress.
Combined Comfort: It is the best hybrid mattress for back sleepers who are tired of feeling sweaty at night. The Avena cool layer is the remedy to make sure you wake up fresh after a cool sleep.
Avocado Green mattress
An epitome of purity and wellness, the Avocado Green Mattress is the top-rated organic mattress for back sleepers. It is extremely comfortable and as safe as many natural raw materials are used in its production. Its best features are:
- No use of polyester or harmful fire retardants
- GOLS Certified Organic Latex and GOTS organic certified cotton for quality assurance
- Zoned pressure point system for proper back support and immense durability
- 1 Year trial and 25 Year Warranty
Customers are in awe of this organic mattress. For environmentally-conscious customers, the Avocado Green Mattress is a great innovation as it provides unbeatable comfort. It provides complete safety for the sleeper and is eco-friendly.
It is great for back sleepers as the pressure relief system ensures proper spinal support while the attached pillow top makes sure proper support to the neck is ensured.
What do We Like?
Completely Safe and Healthy: It is one of the only three mattress firms in the world to achieve Made Safe Certification and completely made from organic substances.
Comfy and Trustable: Back remains perfectly aligned while you sleep on it and the mattress comes with an enormous 25-year warranty for any assistance.
TEMPUR-Adapt Hybrid Mattress
- Reinforced innerspring construction along with multiple foam layers that ensure back relief
- A cool comforting top cover for maintenance of accurate temperature throughout the night
- Adaptive TEMPUR Material aligns your back and gives absolute relaxation
- 10 Year Full Replacement Limited Warranty
The TempurPedic is a leader in delivering comfortable mattresses, offer a unique mattress that is worth every penny you spend on it.
Customers are driven by the brand name of TEMPUR and this firm always delivers excellent comfort and top-notch quality through all its mattresses.
This mattress is the best choice for those back sleepers who prefer comfort over anything else.
It is engineered to perfection and the original TEMPUR Adaptive Foam is bound to make your mornings fresh and your nights peaceful. Out of all TEMPUR Mattresses, this mattress is the best TempurPedic mattress for back pain.
What do We like?
Brand Value: TEMPUR has become synonymous with absolute comfort and this mattress is no exception.
Scientifically Designed: NASA Scientists developed the premium TEMPUR Material for the best-in-market sleeping experience.
TUFT & NEEDLE Mattress
- 65% Polyester content and manufactured in the USA.
- Greenguard GOLD certified and CertiPUR Certified.
- Trademark T and N Adaptive foam maintain a cool sleeping surface.
- 10 Year Limited Warranty.
It is a generally accepted fact that back sleepers prefer a medium-firm mattress to ensure that the back remains aligned and no pressure is created near hip and neck joints.
This mattress has become a consumer favorite because of its affordable price and excellent quality. Customers feel that it has great features that are available at a reasonable price.
For back sleepers, it is a bit firm which makes sure you get a great sleep. Adaptive memory foam is also highly appreciated as it helps in creating a cool sleeping experience.
What do We like?
Perfect Balance: This mattress strikes the exact balance between plush and firm to make sure back sleepers find it more comforting. It is the best mattress for back and hip pain.
Value for Money: At an affordable cost, it provides great quality and splendid customer support through its 10-year Warranty. Ideal for consumers looking for a balance between price and quality.
Saatva Classic Mattress
Another option for those who prefer a firm mattress is the Saatva Classic Mattress. It is becoming increasingly popular because of its great features and trustable quality.
Some of its notable attributes are:
- Environmentally Safe and CertiPUR Certified
- The top cover is treated with Guardin botanical antimicrobial treatment and finishing touch with an organic damask bronze trim.
- 120 Night Trial and 15 Year Warranty
A luxurious experience is bound to be your way when you purchase the Saatva Classic Mattress. The innerspring coil is made of recycled steel rod which adds to the fact that this firm is committed to developing naturally sound products.
For back sleepers, it is sufficiently firm and hence we recommend it as the best mattress for a bad back.
What do We like?
Firm and Comfy: It has accurate firmness and through user experience, we have understood that it is one of the best options for back sleepers or those who suffer lower back pain and cramps.
Durable: You can blindly trust the quality of Saatva Classic Mattress and for customer assurance it comes with a 15 Year Warranty as well.
Brooklyn Signature Hybrid Mattress
- Patented Cooling System to ensure a sweat-free sleeping experience
- TitanFlex foam combines accurate contouring and latex foam like responsiveness
- 1” High-density base foam for added durability and support
- 10 Year Warranty
Looking for a mattress that can last for many years without any need for repair and issues, then our pick for such a need is Brooklyn Signature Mattress.
We highly recommend the Brooklyn Signature Mattress for those who want a worry-free experience and that too for a sufficiently long period. This mattress is simple and has focused on creating valuable quality and not loading too many features.
Back Sleepers would love it for its sufficient firmness and trustable durability.
What do We like?
Reliable: It is durable and comes with a 10 Year Warranty.
Cool and Relaxing: The innovative cooling technology makes sure you are at ease throughout the night.
- Dual Layers of Memory Gel foam provide proper contouring and help in effective weight distribution
- It molds to your sleeping position and provides ultimate comfort to back sleepers
- Moisture-wicking Tencel Cover for a cool sleeping experience
- Forever Warranty and 180-night trial period
If you have a limited budget but want to purchase something of superb quality and reliable durability then the Nectar Mattress is the top option for you. It is true to every penny you spend on it and makes sure it lasts long enough.
Customers feel that it is the best mattress at such an affordable price. Back Sleepers will love the proper firmness of the bed and also applaud the durability this mattress has.
The 180-night trial period is another benefit, while a lifetime warranty is the highest in the market. It shows the manufacturer’s trust in this mattress.
What do We like?
Affordable Brilliance: We rate it as the best mattress for back sleepers and a true value for money.
Worry-Free Usage: With a lifetime warranty, you can easily contact the customer service anytime to resolve any damages or troubles.
The WinkBed Mattress
Lastly, we bring to you a lavish-looking and enchantingly relieving mattress that is designed to make sure you get peace every night – The WinkBed. It is a premium mattress having the following features:
- Specialty foams provide soft comfort while dual innerspring provide support.
- Extra Edge Support to prevent unwanted sagging
- 120 Night Trial and Lifetime Warranty
Although this mattress is luxurious and hence a bit expensive, customers do not shy away from appreciating the relief they receive while they sleep on the WinkBed.
It is innovative and has some top-notch features that provide breathability to the mattress and ensure proper body posture alignment throughout the night.
It has features that work.
What do We like?
Innovative: It has some premium technologies put into use which make sure you have an amazing sleeping experience without any compromise.
Trustable: You can trust the WinkBed and you get a lifetime warranty in case of any troubles. We found customer care to be extremely prompt and helpful.
Mattress Buying Guide for Back Sleepers
Back Sleepers are a minority in the USA and require some special mattresses that not only give relief to their backs but also help in maintaining proper posture. Thus ensuring no pain in neck or hips. Here we provide a detailed buyer’s guide to help you purchase the best mattress for your back:
Variations in Back Sleeping Position
There are distinct sleeping positions even if you are sleeping on your back. Find out which is your position from the description below:
- Starfish: In this, the arms are bent at the elbow in alignment with the head and at least one of your legs is bent at the knee.
- Soldier: In this, the arms remain straight on sides while one or both of your legs are bent at the knee joint.
- Savasana: It is like the perfect pose in which your arms remain on the sides while your legs remain extended outwards.
None of these positions can be compared but rather may be used alternatively or maybe the same every night. In any case, a supportive mattress is required to relieve you from pain or unwanted muscular cramps
Advantages of Back Sleeping
There are not many but some benefits of sleeping in this uncommon position:
- Since the face remains upwards i.e. not in contact with the mattress or pillow there are relatively fewer chances of developing facial wrinkles.
- If you do not move a lot this position ensures a natural alignment of your neck, shoulders, and hip joint along with a straight back.
- No need to put pillows between your thighs (eg: side sleeping) or below your belly (like in stomach sleeping).
- It helps relieve sinus buildup and prevents pressure creation on any particular body organ.
Disadvantages of Back Sleeping
If you are a back sleeper and are not sleeping on the right mattress, then you are vulnerable to the few risks:
- You may start snoring or develop sleep apnea as sleeping on the back causes the tongue and respiratory muscles to relax leading to some trouble in breathing properly.
- You are at risk of getting cramps on your shoulders or some annoying neck pain. This may happen due to an improper position or because of an uncomfortable pillow.
- Pregnant women have developed lower back pain in this position and hence this position is not suitable for those women who are pregnant.
Discovering Your Firmness Level
Back Sleepers prefer a bit firm mattress and stable one as it contours perfectly to ensure proper alignment of the back does not sink easily. We have provided the applicable firmness levels which we have researched and found to be useful according to the sleeper’s weight:
- All Sleepers weighing less than 150 pounds, we feel a soft mattress can be sufficient to prevent sinking while at the same time ensure a cozy sleep.
- For those who fall in the category of 150 pounds to 230 pounds, a medium-firm mattress is recommended.
- For a bit heavyweight back sleeper such as those weighing more than 230 pounds, we recommend a supportive mattress with a slightly firm sleeping surface.
Different Types of Mattresses for Back Sleepers:
Foam Beds: These may be memory foam or other comfort layers having innovative properties that make sure you receive ultimate comfort. Our top recommendations for back sleepers looking to buy a foam bed are Tuft and Needle Mattress and the Nectar Mattress.
Hybrid Mattress: These are combination beds having an innerspring system along with a high-density foam base to ensure proper support. Our choices are the TEMPUR Adapt Mattress and the Brooklyn Signature in this category.
Innerspring Mattress: They have a grid-based or pocketed coil system in place and are affordable as well. We suggest going for the Saatva Classic Mattress if you prefer an innerspring mattress.
Some Final Helpful Tips
- Decide your budget beforehand to avoid confusion and find the best mattress according to your budget.
- Prefer those that provide long sleep trial periods. The average is 100 nights trial but you may find those offering 180-night trials and even a 1-year trial period. But this increases costs so be careful in choosing the mattress.
- Always remember that one mattress may be comfy for some people but it doesn’t need to be best for your back as well. Understand your body type and weight. Always research online but reliable websites before making the purchase.
Try to get a suitable mattress that offers a sufficient warranty period i.e. at least 10 years or more.
Best Mattress TYPE for back and hip pain
If you are suffering from chronic back pain then you may realize how important the right mattress is for your sleep. Back pain tends to become annoying and if not slept on the accurate firmness level it can cause much more damage than just uncomfortable sleep.
Hip pain, on the other hand, may arise out of a variety of causes. These may be arthritis, nervous weakness, or even some past injury or sprain. Whatever may be the reason, it is of utmost importance to find the right mattress which provides a soft feel and ensures proper spinal alignment as well. Unnecessary pressure on the lower back or hips must be avoided including while sleeping.
Thus, a simple remedy for pain irrespective of your body weight or sleep position preference is close conforming and soft feel. It relaxes your joints and provides cushioning to your pressure points for long term pressure relief.
Memory foam mattresses can be useful in dealing with such issues. It has been testified that even latex mattresses help in relieving them of back or hip pain.
As a back sleeper, you may want to put a pillow below your knees to make sure your lower body and abdomen remain significantly elevated and at the correct angle. This can be a remedy for those who are suffering from lower back or hip pain.
Thus, in simple terms, if you are a back sleeper with back pain or hip pain go for a bit firm mattress. It shouldn’t be abnormally firm but a bit firmer than the one you already sleep on. Mattresses with sufficient support to avoid unnecessary sinking are also a great solution for such a problem.
You might want to buy a memory foam or latex mattress for better results.
Does Memory Foam cause Back Pain to Back Sleepers?
We must understand that pain developing in the back may be a result of improper sleeping posture and not always the fault of a mattress. People may experience pain even when they sleep on the comfiest mattress and hence, we cannot generalize such an issue.
Memory foam mattresses are many times recommended for those who suffer from back pain. It has shown positive results as well, but few people have claimed that memory foam mattresses are also a factor in triggering pain. This again varies from sleeper to sleeper and the kind of support it provides them.
For instance, if your lower back or hip portion is a bit heavy, then it may sink and the posture might become distorted leading to pain. However, this is not a generic issue of the memory foam mattress.
During hot weather, memory foam mattresses retain body heat leading to excessive sweating and uncomfortable sleep. This again may lead to constant moving while you sleep. Thus, lesser comfort and becoming a reason for back pain.
However, choosing mattresses that are infused with cooling gel is helpful in most of the cases. Additionally, add a cooling mattress topper to your existing mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Back Sleepers require a better mattress than the normal ones to ensure more comfort and prevent unwanted cramps or acute pain.
We have provided a detailed analysis of our top choices for the best mattresses for back sleepers.
Our buyer’s guide is enough for you to understand the different aspects of and about buying a mattress for back sleepers. Utilize this resource and make sure you have a risk-free comfortable back sleeping experience.