Disclosure – We rely on reader support to run SleepMattressHQ.com. If you purchase products using our links, we may earn a commission. Click here to read about our process.
- What is an Orthopedic Mattress?
- List of Top Orthopedic Mattresses You Should Consider Buying
- Guide to Buying an Orthopedic Mattress
- Features to look for in an Orthopedic Mattress
- How Orthopedic Mattress relieves Back Pain?
- Benefits of an Orthopedic Mattress
- Why Orthopedic Mattress?
- Related FAQs
- Final Thoughts
The importance of peaceful and sound sleep cannot be overstated. Sleep determines how your day goes and if you receive sufficient and comfortable sleep you are bound to wake up fresh and succeed against all challenges life poses at you.
To make sure you receive the most relaxing sleep after your tiring day, an orthopedic mattress is the best option. It makes sure your posture remains correct and your body is at ease while you sleep.
What is an Orthopedic Mattress?
An orthopedic mattress is similar to a traditional mattress but comes with an added advantage. It takes your sleeping comfort to the next level by making sure your back is sufficiently supported and the entire body has an accurate sleeping posture.
The mattress helps your joints and muscles relax appropriately.
Such a mattress is clinically designed and suitable for those who either suffer any back injury, back pain, or for those who just want an enhanced sleep. Such mattresses can provide unmatched comfort at just a little extra cost.
Let us look at the list of best orthopedic mattresses and why they are on our list.
Must Read: We recommend this Tempurpedic Mattress for Back Pain.
List of Top Orthopedic Mattresses You Should Consider Buying
|Mattress||Name||Why?||Price Range||Discounted Price|
|Classic Brands Mercer Mattress||Best All-Rounder Orthopedic Mattress||Under $350||Check Today's Best Price|
|Snuggle-Pedic Mattress||Best For Convenient and Easy Set Up||Under $1000||Check Today's Best Price|
|Continental Sleep Orthopedic Mattress and Box Spring||Best For the Most Comfortable Sleeping Surface||Under $500||Check Today's Best Price|
|Swiss Ortho Sleep Spring Contour Mattress||Best for Innovative and Unique Features||Under $600||Check Today's Best Price|
|Chiro Premier Orthopedic||Best Luxury Orthopedic Mattress||Under $500||Check Today's Best Price|
|Nectar Mattress||Best Durable Orthopedic Mattress||Under $1000||Check Today's Best Price|
|Sunrising Bedding Hybrid Mattress||Best Value For Money||Under $500||Check Today's Best Price|
|Spinal Solution Hybrid Eurotop & Wood Box Spring||Best Movability and Back Support||Under $500||Check Today's Best Price|
Classic Brands Mercer Pillow-Top Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid 12-Inch Mattress
Our top choice for the best orthopedic mattress is the Classic Brands Mercer Hybrid Mattress. It is innovative and provides a comfy memory foam sleeping surface. Some of its specifications that make it our top pick are:
- An innovative combination of traditional innerspring coils with the new generation gel memory foam that provides unmatched comfort.
- The edges are corded and sides are uniquely knitted for breathability of the fabric.
- CertiPUR US Certification.
- 10 Year Warranty and 100 Day Free Trial that ensures customers get sufficient time to test this mattress and covers against any future damages.
One word that describes The Classic Brands Mercer Hybrid Mattress is “Allrounder.” This orthopedic mattress has everything necessary to deliver excellent comfort and win customer trust.
Combined with unique bedding material is the promise of long-term usage which is provided by the great durability this mattress has. The inner design of the mattress has a coil structure and topped with cool gel memory foam. The pillow top adds to the plush feel and will appreciate the lap of luxury.
It can also be used as a mattress for an adjustable bed.
The mattress is resistant to allergens and dust mites. The readers prone to allergies should opt for Classic Brands Mercer.
Classic Brands also gives 100 Day Free trial which is the best feature that makes sure the customer chooses this mattress after proper testing. Without a doubt, this orthopedic mattress deserves to be on the top of the list of best orthopedic mattresses.
Another close contender for the best orthopedic mattress is the Orthopedic Mattress by Snuggle-Pedic. It has some of the most unique and comfort-assuring features which make sure you get the most relaxing experience when you use this mattress. Some attributes of this product are:
- Patented Air Flow System™ that increases the breathability of the mattress by multiple folds.
- Flex Support Technology for pressure relief and extra support.
- CertiPUR certified and eco-friendly.
- Made in the USA.
- 4 Month Trial Period and limited 20 warranty.
- Removable cover.
Snuggle-Pedic has all the necessary features that make it a strong contender for the top position in our list of the best orthopedic mattresses.
But a major difference between Classic Brands and Snuggle-Pedic is the pricing.
Snuggle-Pedic may be a bit over-priced but again some innovative features are not available in other orthopedic mattresses. The Air-flow system patented by Snuggle-Pedic really works.
Our usage has also shown the unparalleled convenience this product has in the form of the zipper cover and pressure-relieving sleeping surface. The cover is extremely cool and breathable. It is a mix of 43% bamboo viscose, 56.4% polyester and 0.6% lycra.
The mattress has two layers beneath the cover. It has a 3-inch high-density Snuggle-Flex comfort layer. The comfort layer is extra buoyant memory foam supporting good ventilation.
The better ventilation is a result of AirFlow Transfer System™ that induces more air circulation by connecting open side channels and top holes.
The support layer is a 7-inch high-density polyurethane foam layer and works well with the comfort layer.
It works perfectly well with adjustable beds.
Overall, this is a must-have luxury product if your budget permits so.
Continental Sleep, 8-inch Fully Assembled Gentle Firm Orthopedic Mattress
The most accurate combination of comfort and durability is the Continental Sleep Orthopedic Mattress. Manufactured in Brooklyn, NY this mattress is bound to give you the most relaxing experience. Its features are:
- It has 357 innerspring verticoil and a gauge-border unit mattress that makes sure the pressure points are reduced.
- Includes wood-box spring (usable with other mattresses as well).
- Medium Plush.
- It is extremely convenient to use and set up and required no assembly
- Meets Federal Standards 1632 and 1633 fire code Wood foundation
- 5 Year Warranty.
People love this orthopedic mattress specifically for its easy assembly and sturdy design. The base is quite firm and the quilted top is sufficiently soft for a peaceful sleep.
However, the Continental Sleep Orthopedic Mattress is on the firmer side. Many customers feel the inner coils being felt by their back. Although we did not experience this in our review. Firmness did not majorly affect our sleeping experience. Also, it has some minor issues like the high use of plastic around the bed.
The 5 Year Warranty ensures the quality is assured and any trouble is resolved by the company.
Swiss Ortho Sleep, 12″ Inch Certified Independently & Individually Wrapped Pocketed Encased Coil Pocket Spring Contour Mattress
Our next orthopedic mattress is a customer favorite and has received immense popularity in a very short period. It is made from premium quality fabric and has some exceptional features with a surprising price tag. Some of these features are:
- 12-inch profile.
- It has a temperature-sensitive sleeping surface and is extremely durable
- The coils are independently wrapped for precise contouring that provides support to our back
- The Bamboo Cover provides breathability and memory foam layer for unparalleled comfort.
- 10 Year Warranty.
Many customers attribute this as one of the best orthopedic mattresses they have ever owned. With a high recommendation from past customers, SMHQ decided to test it out what makes it a great buy.
Swiss orthopedic mattress is under 300 dollars with incredible support. All thanks to its design. It has 4 layers with a fire retardant bamboo cover. The design includes 2-inch high-density memory foam, followed by 1-inch wave foam. The pocket coil spring layer is 9-inches with a padding layer between wave foam and pocket spring layer.
It is extremely comfortable and the bamboo cover performs brilliantly. There is no heat retention due to the temperature-sensitive sleeping surface. The base provides effective pressure relief and is body forming.
It comes with a 10 Year Warranty to make sure the customer doesn't face any trouble.
Chiro Premier Orthopedic Mattress
A durable and comfy orthopedic mattress for many years of worry-free usage is the Chiro Premier Orthopedic Mattress.
It has all the required features of a firm orthopedic mattress that has all the required features but comes along with the promise of no damage over many years of rough and tough usage. It has astounding attributes some of which are:
- 9-inch profile.
- Top Quality 357 verticoil units and 8 double edge guards that provide extra support on the corners.
- It can be used from both sides and is reversible
- Flippable – so that it lasts longer.
- Polyfoam padding on both sides to provide comfort and support
- The top is quilted for a luxurious feel and a relaxing sleeping experience
- Includes Box Spring.
- Medium Firm.
- Recommended for back pain.
The verdict for Chiro Premier Orthopedic Mattress is fairly positive. A special mention must be made for the reversible cover which is not easily available in other orthopedic mattresses. People have appreciated the Flippable feature and extremely useful with back pain issues.
The top fabric which is quilted in blue color is design to be beautiful looking and soft as well.
We noticed the company charges for shipping which might be a turn off for few. But looking at the overall price this mattress is highly durable as well and is manufactured in the USA.
Nectar Queen Mattress
Made up of the comfortable memory foam and packaged with 2 soft pillows, Nectar Orthopedic mattress is undoubtedly a must-have orthopedic mattress that provides you a luxurious feeling as you sleep on it.
Some notable features of this mattress are:
- An appropriate level of comfort and firmness along with a breathable fabric
- The unique Tencel Cover is moisture absorbent and extremely soft
- 180 Night Trial Period and Lifetime Warranty which is not provided by any other brand
- Easy Set up and no need to pay for external assembling
This mattress has become a new customer favorite and in a very short time. Although there are minor issues overall, the product quality is top-notch.
The real advantage of this mattress is the 180 Night Trial Period which is almost 3 months more than what is usually provided by other brands.
We loved this product reviewing a few months back for a comparison article. Nectar is known for its customer service and will continue to serve its customers to ultimate satisfaction.
Sunrising Bedding 10 Inch Natural Latex Hybrid Queen Mattress
Next on our list is the comfy and durable Sunrising Bedding Orthopedic mattress. This is a recommendation budget-conscious readers and it provides unmatched quality at such an affordable price tag. Some of its attractive features are:
- 100% Natural Latex using Talalay Latex technology.
- No toxins or allergens.
- No off-gassing.
- The innovative memory foam and gel foam layering create an appropriate airflow channel for a soothing sleep in humid weather conditions.
- The tempered steel coils provide support and relief to the back.
- 120 Night trial period and 20 Year Warranty
Consider this bedding to be a luxury at the price of a normal orthopedic mattress. The product has a lavish Cashmere Wool covering which gives it the extravagant look and feel.
It has three layers with a top layer of 100% natural latex followed by a layer of soft memory foam. Below memory foam, is a layer of gel memory foam on top of the pocket spring layer.
It is specifically suited for those who want a bouncy and responsive sleeping surface. Customers are assured because of the 120-night warranty period and a 20-year warranty.
Overall, it is the best orthopedic mattress at such an affordable price.
Spinal Solution, 11-Inch Medium Plush Foam Encased Hybrid Eurotop Pillowtop Innerspring Mattress
Last in our list of best orthopedic mattresses is the Spinal Solution Innerspring Orthopedic Mattress. It is an accurate combination of sufficient comfort and lasting usage. Its specifications are as follows:
- No assembly required and ready to use.
- Euro Top surface for improved comfort.
- 396 innerspring verticoil which provides pressure point relief to the back and a relaxing sleeping experience
- Includes a sturdy wood foundation (box spring) and provides support.
- Medium Plush.
- 10 Year Warranty for customer assurance
Fabulous is what best describes this brilliant orthopedic mattress. It has the added benefit of being extremely easy to use and requires almost no set up.
Spinal Solution Orthopedic Mattress is a great option for those who want to buy a durable and comfortable orthopedic mattress.
Guide to Buying an Orthopedic Mattress
Orthopedic Mattresses are a testimonial of a sound sleep that re-energizes your body after a long day. But it may not be very easy to find the right orthopedic mattress that fulfills all the needs of your body. As an aware buyer, there are few things that you must keep in mind to make sure you get a perfect sleep every night.
First and Foremost, remove this myth that since it is clinically designed it cannot be used in our daily lives. It is highly beneficial to use an orthopedic mattress for your regular sleeping as it is an improvement in your normal sleeping surface.
It is true that people with back pain or spinal injury use this but is not exclusive to them. It is advantageous to use this for daily sleeping as these mattresses last much longer than traditional mattresses.
There are various variants of orthopedic mattresses available in the market. These are available in different types:
Latex Mattress: These support rough and tough usage and are quite durable. They are quite breathable and hypoallergenic. They do not overheat or absorb excess moisture. But some people feel that these are a bit sticky.
Pocket Spring Mattress: These are fit for an average budget and provide reasonable warranty and premium quality. They are available according to your required firmness level and the internal springs spread your body weight evenly for enhanced comfort and support.
Open Spring Mattress: These are some of the cheapest orthopedic mattresses available in the market. They are suitable for occasional usage like guest beds.
Memory Foam Mattress: The most popular and highly preferred type of orthopedic mattress is the memory foam mattress. They are the perfect blend of comfort and durability at an affordable cost. Most users find these the most comfortable orthopedic mattress and can be used for many years without any trouble.
Gel Memory Foam Mattress: The gel memory foam mattresses are an enhanced version of memory foam. They are infused with gel particles that help in relieving extra heat and keeps the body cool. These gel particles support the circulation of heat.
Hybrid Mattress: Hybrid mattresses are combinations of two types of mattresses discussed above. Usually, they have an innerspring layer topped with either memory foam or latex. The innerspring provides the required bouncy feel. Memory foam reduces motion transfer and adds comfort. These are available with gel memory foam as well so it is better to understand your needs and invest wisely.
Features to look for in an Orthopedic Mattress
- Firmness: Firmness is the most important aspect of any mattress and it is more important for an orthopedic mattress. Choose according to your desired firmness level. The mattress must not be too soft or harsh as this can eliminate the very essence of an orthopedic mattress i.e. unrivaled comfort.
- Material: Choose a fabric your body is comfortable with. Breathable fabric is recommended for the cover.
- Reason for Purchase: It is also essential to determine the reason for your purchase. Considering a Doctor's opinion is a must if you suffer from an injury. If you are looking for an orthopedic mattress to use for regular sleeping, a memory foam one like Classic Brands Mercer is the best. For a limited frequency of usages, like any sleeping emergency or guests, then buying a bit low priced Open Spring or Pocket Spring Mattress can also be considered.
- Warranty: Lastly, always look for sufficient warranty and trial period. The industry at an average provides 3 months of trial period and 10 Year Warranty. There are some exceptional offers like a limited lifetime warranty as well.
How Orthopedic Mattress relieves Back Pain?
Our back is supported by our back muscles, spine, and joints. If you sleep in an accurate posture your shoulders, spine and other joints will be comforted. Sometimes, our normal mattresses tend to get soft at certain pressure points or may start getting sunk that leads to unnecessary discomfort while you sleep.
An orthopedic mattress is medically designed and clinically tested. It has an accurate firmness level along with no uneven deepness in certain parts of the mattress. This makes sure the weight of your back is evenly spread without any pressure on a specific part. This is how an orthopedic mattress works for enhancement in your sleeping experience.
Benefits of an Orthopedic Mattress
The benefits of an orthopedic are tremendous and sometimes unbelievable too. Read on and reap the advantages of such an apt product for your sleep.
- Health Benefits: A simple logic explains that if you have the perfect mattress it makes sure you sleep in the correct posture. This essentially leads to the proper relaxation of all your joints and muscles. If your body is sufficiently relaxed you have a great day and a great life. An orthopedic mattress is just the beginning point of a healthy and peaceful life.
- Support to the Back: An orthopedic mattress is recommended for people having back pain or arthritis. If back pain or muscular pain is causing you to sleep deprivation then it is highly recommended to purchase an orthopedic mattress.
- Easy to Use: Flip it and use it. No Setup or assembling required just unbox and use. All this contributes to the enormous convenience an orthopedic mattress provides to users.
- Value for Money: Just by putting in few extra bucks you get tremendously improved sleep and with the extended warranty period and trial periods, these mattresses are bound to provide you the worth of every penny you put in.
Why Orthopedic Mattress?
An orthopedic mattress can exceedingly improve your sleep. It is nothing short of moving one level up in getting the most peaceful sleep which every human deserves.
Many people feel that an orthopedic mattress is only for those who face injury or back pain. But all this is just a myth.
An orthopedic mattress is just more and more comfort for your back assured correct sleeping posture and the most relaxing experience you can ever have.
Since these are clinically designed, an orthopedic mattress comes with a medically proven tag to make sure you get a comfortable and sound sleep. Apart from these benefits, an orthopedic mattress is generally easy to use and requires almost no maintenance.
These are flexible and some brands have reversible models as well. Most of them come with a 10 Year Warranty or sometimes even more which means that you do not have to worry about any trouble. This makes them a testimony of true value for money.
- Do orthopedic mattresses work or good?
These mattresses are medically designed and clinically proven to give significant and positive results. Doctors recommend them specifically for back pain sufferers but people without any ailments have testified the claims of increased comfort and a night of enhanced sleep. Therefore, it can be accurately concluded that these mattresses work and can do wonders.
- Is Orthopedic mattress hard or firm?
These mattresses are sufficiently firm and are designed according to clinical standards. However, these may come across as being a bit firm for your back but mostly body tends to adjust in a few days. Therefore, it is advised to test or try out the mattress and decide your desired firmness level.
- Which are the best mattress for lower back and hip pain?
Since this is a medical problem it is highly recommended to consult an orthopaedist beforehand. However, our recommendation is the Snuggle-Pedic Mattress or the Classic Brands Mercer Orthopedic mattress.
- Is orthopedic mattress good for pregnancy?
It is often recommended to use these during pregnancy period as they can provide relief to muscular cramps or back pain. During the pregnancy phase, the body is under extreme stress especially back and legs. Orthopedic mattresses have a proven record of providing relief during pregnancy.
- How long does an orthopedic mattress last?
On average these last for 7 years, but mostly they can be used for more than 10 years even. Usage and Material used also decide how durable an orthopedic mattress is.
- Do Orthopedic Mattresses have springs?
Most of the orthopedic mattresses provide support from the core layer of the innerspring coil. The spring has a top layer of memory foam for comfort.
- What is a Medicated/Medical mattress?
An orthopedic mattress is also known as Medicated Mattress or Medical mattress. Medicated or Medical mattress are clinically designed and tested medically to provide relief for issues like back pain.
- What is a Semi Orthopedic Mattress?
Semi orthopedic mattresses are a cost-effective solution to the orthopedic mattress. Brands generally save the cost of the quality of innerspring or usage of open coil springs. The memory foam or the pillow-top provided for budget-conscious buyers. Despite cost-cutting, they help provide support to the back.
An orthopedic mattress is an improvement in your traditional mattresses and these can provide enormous benefits. Earlier these were limited to hospitals or for people who had back pain, but now they are becoming popular among normal people as well.
It is highly recommended to use them and make sure you get the sleep you deserve. We have curated an exclusive list of the best orthopedic mattresses available along with a detailed buying guide to aid you in purchasing the perfect orthopedic mattress for you.